also, as some very wise people on this list and other lists/papers have
pointed out "Know thy data" some of our worst dasd response time issues were
eliminated by simply looking at the logical volume placement and the data
sets there on. Moving some DB2 indexes into different array groups and/or
off logical volumes that were splattered out towards the middle of the small
spinning back end dasd can make a great deal of difference (know your chunk
sizes, how the chunks are spread across the disks in the arrays, etc...).
RAID technology (at least yet) doesn't make up for bad placement of storage
group volumes and the data sets on them. As others pointed out, research Dr.
Artis papers on the subject--just my opinion and experience.
(Because we've always done it this way *BANG*)---Running HSM migration
management/space release-along with compactor jobs on  different lpar in the
plex- on logical volumes that were on the front of the disks in the arrays
absolutely killed the hot indexes that were in the middle of the disks in
the same array.