J,

This is what Pat describes as "SIBLING PEND" and it is easy to spot the
symptom because it shows up as Disconnect Time.

I sure IBM and EMC have something like HDS's Performance Monitor. It's a GUI
with exportable data that you can use to monitor skewed activity across the
parity groups that lead to the elongated seek affect that you describe.

Ron

Behalf Of
> J Ellis
> Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:47 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Any ROT for DASD Response time
>
> also, as some very wise people on this list and other lists/papers have
> pointed out "Know thy data" some of our worst dasd response time issues
were
> eliminated by simply looking at the logical volume placement and the data
> sets there on. Moving some DB2 indexes into different array groups and/or
> off logical volumes that were splattered out towards the middle of the
small
> spinning back end dasd can make a great deal of difference (know your
chunk
> sizes, how the chunks are spread across the disks in the arrays, etc...).
> RAID technology (at least yet) doesn't make up for bad placement of
storage
> group volumes and the data sets on them. As others pointed out, research
Dr.