Hal,

I should have been clear. The statement I disagreed with is:

        " It does not really matter what the response times are,
        the issue is that they are too slow"

I'm not sure where I can agree with you, and I still fail to see how near
perfect response time can be too slow.

Any volume averaging 0.3ms response time is pretty close to zero delay, where a
delay is something queued or waiting. I'm not sure why you don't believe this.

I've seen shorter response time with synthetic workloads designed to only use
local memory in the channel interface, but that's hardly applicable to
Lizette's problem.

I believe Response time does matter because it is a guide to the action
required. It just should not be considered as the only metric that decides if
IO is delaying an application.

In RMF III a cache hit is connect time only and counted as "Using." It  will
not show up as a delay unless there is contention.

Ron