See imbedded.

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ron Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Any ROT for DASD Response time

Hal,

I should have been clear. The statement I disagreed with is:

        " It does not really matter what the response times are,
        the issue is that they are too slow"

I'm not sure where I can agree with you, and I still fail to see how near
perfect response time can be too slow.

>>> If the DASD is delivering near perfect response times, then it can't go
>>> faster. If that's still not fast enough, then one -must- address I/O
>>> reduction. War story: most loved online was hitting a ceiling and just
>>> wouldn't scale past a specific transaction load. The cause was traced to a
>>> single checkpoint dataset. The fastest hardware available was brought in
>>> but it was not fast enough. The very reluctant, politically powerful
>>> support team was forced to address the I/O to that dataset. A relatively
>>> minor change solved the problem. The point is that making application
>>> changes may meet with a -lot- of resistance, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta
>>> do. To be fair, -any- change to that application was a medium to high risk.

Any volume averaging 0.3ms response time is pretty close to zero delay, where a
delay is something queued or waiting. I'm not sure why you don't believe this.

>>> The OP reported measurable delays. Therefore, it was unlikely the DASD was
>>> delivering optimal response times.

..snip

I believe Response time does matter because it is a guide to the action
required. It just should not be considered as the only metric that decides if
IO is delaying an application.

>>> That's the key point putting us into substantial agreement.

..snip

Ron

intended
information.