On 8/1/2010 5:25 PM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
I agree that this failure to do what was requested is
counterintuitive. DSN=datasetname(member) turns the member into
a sequential dataset. Thus a disp=(old, delete) should act the
same way as if the DSN pointed at an actual sequential dataset -
IOW: Delete the member (which at this point IS the sequential
dataset).

Exactly what do you wish to delete? If the member has alias entries, should these be deleted also? If no, will they stay widowed or should one be promoted to a non-alias? On the other hand, if the name points to an alias, should the alias be deleted alone, or with all associated entries?

It looks to me as though you're trading one "counterintuitive" problem for another. At least the current behavior is documented, and most programmers won't do it more than once.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT