I agree, FlashCopy is a big requirement for me here, I would consider it a
"must have" in our configuration.  Between FRBACKUP and cloning DB2 systems, I
would have a hard time living without it.  Any vendor who could not do
FlashCopy compatibly would lose out.

>>> Ron Hawkins <ron.hawkins1...@sbcglobal.net> 8/3/2010 12:45 PM >>>
Ted,

I find your experience to be the exception to the rule. I've been involved
in far too many deals, won and lost, where the unique, esoteric functions
offered by a particular vendor's technology met the key requirements of the
customer and that feature was the deal maker.. When a customer wants to
migrate their data centre from London to Sydney, or do real time replication
of 100s of TB across an ocean with a 10 second RPO.

One example that refutes the "DASD is Generic" argument is a multi-Petabyte
customer that recently made their MIM Control file Cache Resident, which
almost doubled the IO rate even though it was already 100% cache hit. This
had an immediate positive impact on the throughput of the Sysplexes that
used MIM. This is a feature that EMC and HDS offer, but IBM doesn't, which
makes the "no major technological difference" argument seem a bit odd to me.

SSD drives are another example. It could be somewhat futile to install these
puppies if the read miss performance of your storage can't crack 50K IOPS,
or they fire hose the back-end paths shared with regular disk drives. It
would be stretching things to say that all vendor technology is equal in
this regard.

Even features like PAV are not equal. Have we forgotten when one vendor only
supported eight Aliases. Or what about customers that find sixteen FlashCopy
V2 sessions on a volume stopped some copies being converted to host based
IO, or FlashCopy interoperability means they can change from HDS to IBM, and
back again without changing a single piece of JCL.

Or how about the small shop that wants to share midrange storage with UNIX
and z/OS, but wants it connected to FICON so they can keep on using
FDRINSTANT to make volume and dataset copies. Are you trying to say that
Mainframe Virtualization is an generic feature offered by all vendors?

It seems to me that you are lucky to work in a site that has no unique or
esoteric requirements. That is certainly rare for medium and large DASD
farms today. I'm certain that we envy you the simplicity of a site where
"There is NO one feature, other than cost, that will make me pick one over
the other."

Ron

> interesting.
>
> I've used the big three vendors (IBM, EMC, and HDS), products and have
found
> no major technological differences.
>
> >A lot of details (important ones!), parameters,
> options, hard to compare disrctly (incompatible solutions).
>
> I disagree.
> While implementation is slightly different, in each case, one is as good
as
> another, as long as you are buying current technology.
>
> I've converted from one vendor to another, as a storage analyst, project
> leader, and using outside consultants.
>
> There is NO one feature, other than cost, that will make me pick one over
the
> other.
>
> In my last acquisition, we went line by line over the features, and found
not
> a single one that was glaring enough to pick one over another.
>
> Who cared if you needed an extra started task, or slightly different
configs
> to do remote copy, or if the storage management web interface was slightly
> different?
> Even within the same vendor, things change in a 3-year period, which was
> usually the acquisition cycle due to warrantee periods.
>
> And, worrying about cache size/algorithms doesn't matter.
> What does is response.
> So, as long as it has enough space, and responds, the so-called
differences
> make no difference.
>
> Gone are the days of when a techno-geek counted cache size, algorithms,
and
> the like.
>
> All that matters is space, performance and such features as PAV, HIPERPAV,
> MIDAW, and so on.
>
> And, rarely are implementation details significant -- and rarely are they
so
> incompatible that they make one vendor impossible to use -- that would not
be
> in that vendor's interest.
> People still can read and learn.
>
> >Even cache memory is hard to compare.
>
> No need to compare.
>
> -

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.