On 08/03/2010 06:16 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:
> I've converted from one vendor to another, as a storage analyst, project
> leader, and using outside consultants.
>
> There is NO one feature, other than cost, that will make me pick one over the
> other.
That depends on whether you are in a metropolitan area that is major
enough that support is not an issue.  Once in the last two decades we
seriously looked at a non-IBM DASD vendor, but the closest non-IBM CE
support was two hours away versus local IBM support.  The possibility of
something as critical as DASD being down for an extra two hours just
waiting for a CE to get on site was unacceptable and killed the deal.

We have had non-IBM hardware in the past.  In the late 1970's this was a
mixed ITel (DASD & processor memory) and IBM (processor and other
peripherals); but vendor CE staffing for hardware support was totally
different in those days:  We had resident CE's from both IBM and ITel
that shared an office, and they worked well together as a team.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jcew...@acm.org