On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:25:01 -0400, zMan wrote:

>How many different date formats are there? There's the hardware
>timestamp, in two forms (original, with the 2046 rollover, and the
>extended one -- what is that, a STCKE instruction?). There's something

ETOD ends at the same point as TOD, despite having an unused
high order byte.

>called an "Oracle format date". There's some UNIX format that rolls
>over in 2034 or some such (tsk, with an epoch of 1970 -- they sure
>weren't planning ahead!), too.

dec's OS 8 used 3 bits for the year.  Ended in 1978.

>Not to mention yy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yy, dd/mm/yy, with 2- and 4-digit
>dates, varying separators (or no separators: yyyymmdd et al.), with
>and without leading zeroes (when there are separators: today as
>8/13/2010 vs. 08/13/2010). And of course (the misnamed) Julian format.

Jewish?  Moslem?  Chinese?  I understand the official Japanese
calendar numbers years relative to the beginning of the current
emperor's reign.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_era

-- gil