Hello list,

I have a couple questions, one general question on RMF reporting and the other
on a specific DASD problem I'm having.

First the general question.  On the monitor 1 post processing reports, what
exactly does the "TIME" field represent?  I know this may sound like a silly
question, but here's where I'm coming from.  If I have RMF set to sync with SMF
at a 15 minute interval, RMF cuts records at the end of the 15 minute interval
for the preceding 15 minutes and passes this record to SMF for safekeeping.
Along comes the post processor, which I will run for a 2 hour interval,
RTOD(1400,1600) for example.  The first interval report from the post processor
shows a TIME field of 14.00.00.  Does this report segment represent the 15
minute interval beginning at 14:00 or the one ending at 14:00 (ie, when the RMF
record was cut and handed off to SMF)?

The preceding question came about because I'm trying to diagnose a problem that
we're having with our disk array performing cloning on the non-mainframe side
of the array that is killing performance.  I'm seeing wildly different pictures
coming out of Omegamon and RMF.  Here's the scenario.   The Oracle DBA kicks
off a clone of a database that is sitting on the same physical spindles as my Z
data.  At the same time I'm running a DFDSS job that dumps 40 or so 3390 mod 9
volumes to 3592 tape.  Under normal conditions (without the Oracle junk
happening), this dump job runs in about 2 hours, with each volume taking 2-4
minutes on average.  When the cloning is taking place, the volume dumps are
taking 15-20 minutes per volume.  Watching Omegamon, it is recording 200-250
millisecond response times on the disk volume being backed up, with most of
that time being spent in DISCONNECT.  Our disk vendor is aware of this and is
attempting to figure out how to fix it.  The problem I'm ha!
 ving is that RMF monitor 1 DASD reports is showing average response times in
the 5-10 millisecond range and I'm not seeing these huge response times that
Omegamon is showing.  Caveat, during this time frame, RMF was recording at 30
minute intervals.

Can somebody explain why I would be seeing good response times in RMF, even
though Omegamon and the clock are both showing that the disk response time is
in the tank?  I would have thought that even with the 30 minute interval, the
fact that a backup was running on the affected volume for 15 minutes of that
interval, with nothing else running on the volume while it wasn't getting
backed up, it would show poor response times.

Thanks.

Rex

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please reply to
sender and destroy or delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.