Linda Mooney wrote:
Greetings All,

Just had a production abend of SMTP. One of our application programmers ran a job to email a few (1.2 million) records to a customer. SMPT crashed, SB37 on SMTP.TEMP.NOTE. I renamed that file to SMTP.TEMP.NOTE .OLD after the offending job was deleted from JES2 and we started SMTP again. It filled the dataset again, SB37 again, odd thing is that the content is exactly the same as before.

What's so strange about that? You ran the same job you get the same results, eh?

None of us know much about SMTP. What would be the best way to recover this?

From the Communication Server Configuration Guide:

DASD management is important to have SMTP run properly, it is
recommended that SMTP have its own dedicated volumes. The
MAILFILEVOLUME statement may be used to specify a particular volume
where newly allocated SMTP data sets reside.

So, do you have your own volume(s) for SMTP files? Selecting an empty
(or nearly empty) volume and identifying that in MAILFILEVOLUME may
solve the problem. This is coded in your SMTP configuration file.

Now your SMTP proc (be sure you locate the version of the proc
you're using) has a DD statement named CONFIG; this should point
you to your SMTP configuration file. Find it and check for MAILFILEVOLUME.

If you think this is the problem, change this value. You could also
see if CHECKSPOOLSIZE is specified (this will truncate a note if
the JES spool file being sent is larger than the primary allocation
for the TEMP.NOTE data set; sounds like it may be useful in your
situtation).

It's hard to tell from your post; your problem may be you need
to change the primary allocation for your NOTE files. I haven't
been able to find where you can change this amount; perhaps you
can put this into an SMS routine.

Once you've changed your configuration, recycle SMTP. There's
probably a simpler way to do this, but I usually just stop it
then wait a bit then start it; from SDSF command line:

/p smtp

/s smtp

HTH.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment