From: "Anthony Thompson" <anthony.thomp...@nt.gov.au>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:04:19 PM
Subject: Re: Current production abend of SMTP

Review the MAXMAILBYTES and CHECKSPOOLSIZE parameters in the SMTP configuration
dataset.

>From the z/OS V1.11 CS IP Configuration Reference:

The value used for bytes in the MAXMAILBYTES statement determines the space
allocations for data sets allocated to hold the mail while it is being
processed and is waiting for delivery. Be careful not to use too large a value,
or the data sets allocated are too large. This can vary with configuration of
DF/SMS on your system. However, in general, the allocation used for the NOTE
data sets is equivalent to specifying SPACE=(6233,(aaaaa,bbbb)), where
aaaa=round((MAXMAILBYTES/4000)+1) and bbbb=round(aaaa/2).

Use the CHECKSPOOLSIZE statement to specify cause SMTP to check the size of JES
spool file. If the JES spool file is larger than the primary allocation for the
hlq.TEMP.NOTE data set, the resulting SMTP note is truncated. When the SMTP
note is truncated, an informational message EZA5340I or EZA5342I is generated
in the SMTP OUTPUT file. If this parameter is not specified, SMTP works as
originally designed. Secondary allocations are requested for continuing growth
of the hlq.TEMP.NOTE data set. Abend B37 can occur if 16 extents are exceeded
and more storage is needed.

Cheers Ant. Thompson
NT Government, Australia