On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:58:59 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>On 31 August 2010 14:39, Pinnacle wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Benik, John E"
>
>>> Does anybody know of a way to prevent the following from happening when
>>> setting numbers off?  Short of going into every member of a PDS I have
>>> not found a way to prevent this.  We have tried profile lock and a
>>> number of other things without success.
>>>
>>> -CAUTION- Profile changed to NUMBER ON STD (from NUMBER OFF).
>>>        Data has valid standard numbers.

It's only trying to help you.

>This has been a long standing complaint of mine with ISPF. In most
>cases I want to be able to tell it *DO NOT FIDDLE WITH MY SETTINGS - I
>KNOW THE WAY I WANT IT*. And I can't. It always knows best.

I feel the same way about turning off data set delete confirmation.
I've mentioned that on these lists, with great polarization in the
reactions:

o I trust myself so little that no one else should be allowed to
  do this!  (Psychologists call this "projection".)

o I used ISPF for 15? years before confirmation appeared.  For
  me, reviewing the screen before pressing ENTER was always my
  confirmation.  It's my foot and my bullet.

>> If you want to suppress this for all time, create an IMACRO to do this:
>>
>> NUM ON
>> UNNUM
>> NUM OFF
>
>The problem I have with this is that there are various cases where
>that initial macro won't take effect, e.g. edit an empty member and
>then copy the content of a member with valid numbers in. And the macro

The worst case is where 73-80 contain monotonically increasing
numeric data which are not intended to be sequence numbers.
NUM OFF has no lasting effect; it just turns on again next time
you edit the file.

>has to be set up on system and userid you are using. Why on earth
>can't they provide an option to truly lock some or all settings? CAPS
>ON is the very worst, because it so easily destroys data.

It's only trying to help you.  But Shane might argue there
shouldn't even be a CAPS OFF setting.

-- gil