I agree with William Blair in that many things we masses are sold and forced to
use seem never to have been given the benefit of a stress test, a focus group,
or the "pick an average man on the street and see if he can use it" reality
check.  But I can also see how a high-level executive would expect that IBM
would sell hundreds of times as many 327x terminals to end users, mostly women
in admin/clerical jobs, as they would to programmers, historically mostly men,
using a slicked-up layer of externals (ISPF) to make the stabilized, user-surly
TSO usable by serious computer professionals.  The sheer numbers of potential
users in each of these two categories would dictate all marketing decisions.

IBM makes extremely complex computer equipment, and we techies salivate as we
delve into the intricacies of the 8th- and 9th-level caching effects on
instruction performance.  IBM builds these complex toys with which we techies
love to play, but big executives in IBM, just like their stockholders, could
care less about how much we computer geeks salivate over what we think of as
toys.  IBM wants their complex business machines to be sold to big businesses
that need machines and to be ultimately used by a vast army of woefully
technically ignorant end-users who work for those big businesses and who don't
care about the technical details or how many PFkeys are on the keyboard.  All
those users want to know is does the keyboard have enough weird keys for them
to do their data entry jobs.

John Gilmore would correctly describe the attitude of that woman executive at
GUIDE as "provincial."  I think what I am trying to say is that top executives
at IBM do not make "computer" decisions.  They make "business" decisions, and
the main business of IBM is to make profits.  They just happen to be using
computers for the last 60 years as a means to that end.

Bill Fairchild
Rocket Software