What SDSF is doing here is using the MGCRE service with the CART parameter
> (the "CART" is the command response token) to send the operator command to
> an EMCS console.
>
> The expectation in most cases is that the code that eventually executes in
> whatever ASID because of the operator command looks at the CIB and sees
> that
> there is a CART present and then uses the CART=CIBXCART specification on
> the
> WTOs that writes messages containing the operator command response. This
> allows the EMCS that SDSF has established to wake up and get the
> message(s).
>
> Not all software products use CARTs on their WTOs and there may be
> architectural reasons why some base z/OS components do not use CARTs
> either.
> To cater for this, SDSF must establish a timer so it can give up waiting -
> hence the setting in the SDSF options.

'es a bright lad is our Rob! Spot on. However, whether or not you see the
"NO RESPONSE"  message depends entirely on whether SDSF "sees" a response
before that timeout occurs. So if the system is busy and/or your command
takes a while to process, you may get this even when you're doing everything
right with respect to the CART. BTDTGTS.

As an aside, if you have more than one line of data to return in the command
response you'll have to use the multi-line WTO option. Miraculously, it does
work and SDSF faithfully horks up the entire multi-line response which makes
it a lot easier to see which message parts belong with which responses.

--
This email might be from the
artist formerly known as CC