First, I haven't moved them. I was just asking. The only "compelling"
reason would be political. The Windows weenies here use ANY excuse to
bad-mouth the zSeries. "Look! Even the mainframers keep their
documentation on Windows! That says something about how much BETTER
Windows is than the mainframe, doesn't it?!?"

> Was there ever a time when you needed to access the doc (on
> windows) and
> couldn't? I'm not pushing the idea of putting it on windows,
> but if it's
> already there anyway why move it? Worst case I suppose you could just
> access it directly from the IBM pubs site and never need to
> update your
> own copy.

Actually, yes. Our LAN storage administrator destroyed the entire share
once. And the back had failed over the previous weekent (it takes them
most of the weekend to do their backups). So we lost about 3 weeks worth
of work.

> > The problem is that we only have 3390-3 sized volumes and don't want
> any
> > other size. This means a single volume contains only about 2.8 Gb.
>
> You DO realize that's just slightly over 1% (a rounding error) of the
> 250GB disk inside the PC I am writing this on? And while I'm
> at it, who
> cares how big those volumes are? They're all emulated anyway.
> Seriously
> folks, we have to get over this space thing on z/OS. We look
> ridiculous.

I don't understand this. I get whined at about using up volumes. That is
how storage administration looks at things on the mainframe. Are you
saying that using a 3390-3 is silly? That a 3390-<big momma> would be
better? If so, then how do I get these large volumes at D.R.? The
"industry standard" is 3390-3 and I've been told that getting any other
size would cost a premium. We are migrating away from volume level to
dataset level backups, so we will be able to address this later (if
there is a later for the zSerie here). Also, we don't have PAV, so
performance is an issue. PAV costs more money. We ain't getting it iffin
it costs more! (cheap decendants of a long line of bachelors)

> > The entire subdirectory that I would like to duplicate
> contain almost
> 6 Gb
> > of data. This basically means two complete 3390-3 volumes to contain
> it.
>
> So you wanna waste a whole 6 gigs of disk for doc! What a resource hog
> you are. I bet your storage administrator has to jiggle
> things left and
> right to accommodate your rampant storage profligacy. Sorry, I got
> carried away.

You think that is bad? Keep away from my PCs at home! At last count, on
three desktops and one laptop, I probably have about 1.5 to 2 terabytes
of disk. <none of it backed up - I finally got a DVD-R dual layer
burner>. I wouldn't mind using less space on the Windows share, we
certainly get whined at enough about it. But that is how much all the
PDFs for vendor manuals, redbooks, et al, along with bloated MS Word
documents take up.

> > Should something this large be zFS? Or is HFS OK?
>
> Something that large? <snort, giggle, wipe tears> Um sure, why not?
>
> > Is there any documentation on the pros/cons of zFS vs. HFS?
> I have zFS
> > implemented on my sandbox z/OS 1.6 system. But not on my production
> z/OS
> > 1.4 system.
>
> zFS is the way to go because aside from the functional
> benefits of zFS,
> HFS has been functionally stabilized. You can do what you are
> suggesting
> easily enough. I just wonder whether it's worth the cost and
> aggravation.

And that last is what I'm trying to figure out. Another political plus
is to be able to show management that the z/OS system can do web
serving. Granted this is a minor application, but management is totally
convinced that the z/OS system is "mired in the past" and cannot do
things like serving web pages, SOAP, etc. That perception makes them
immediately want to implement everything new on Windows.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.