On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:54:15 -0400, David Kreiss wrote:

>Determine what track the dataset was allocated to then run this utility
>specifying the first track of the dataset.

<snip!>
... which can give a false positive if the extent allocated begins,
by happenstance, with a residual EOF from prior use.

Depending.

>John pointed me to
>http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt2i650/8.1
>
>which states "For sequential data sets, SMS writes a hardware EOF at the
>beginning of the data set at initial allocation. This prevents data integrity
>problems when applications try to read the data before data is written in the
>data set."

Jim Mulder properly stated this assertion ought not mention security.
It doesn't.  Regardless, "data integrity" has misleading connotations.
I'd replace "prevents data integrity problems" with "prevents unexpected
program behavior".

>Just for fun, I allocated four new datasets using IEFBR14:
>> DSORG=PS SMS-managed
>> NO DSORG SMS-managed (had to modify my DC ACS routine to get this)
>> DSORG=PS non-SMS
>> NO DSORG non-SMS
>
>All utility programs (e.g. IBMGENER, IDCAMS, IEHLIST and IEBPTPCH) referencing
>any of these datasets via any input DD (e.g. SYSIN or SYSUT1) recognized that
>there was no data. I wonder, therefore, whether newly-allocated datasets are
>now getting initialized with an "EOF". Seems unlikely to me that all are
>because all JCL references up to and including V1R12 have a note for DISP=NEW
>(Note: Initialize a new data set to ensure that it is empty).

the signal is obscured because most utilities will also check DS1LSTAR
as well as for physical EOF, and treat either as end of data.

>I don't know of a tool that we have at this organization which indicates the
>presence of an "EOF" (count with keylen=0 and datalen=0) in a track.

Assembly language BSAM read.

>Would any of you have such a utility and be willing to use it to test the
>results of IEFBR14-allocating the aforementioned datasets?

IEFBR14 doesn't allocate; it's much too short to do that sort of thing.

>I'm curious to know whether newly-allocated datasets are "empty" (no content)
>or "null" (hardware EOF at the beginning). I found a definition of "empty"
>versus "null" in the final paragraphs of "DFSMSdfp Storage Administration:
>Chapter 7. Defining data classes - Planning data classes"

What's "no content"?  Except on a new, freshly unwrapped device, an obtained
extent will contain residual data from prior use.  The most you can expect
is unpredictable content,

-- gil