On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:56:23 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>If you were very unlucky, the allocated extents could contain data with
>compatible block structure and possibly even records that could pass
>application integrity checks.  Subsequent programs could use the "bogus"
>records to perform unintended updates and other unintended actions.  I
>can remember at least one or two instances where records were
>successfully read from an "empty" file.
>
>"Unexpected program behavior" is too benign a description, because in
>the latter case a missing EOF could lead to data loss, data corruption,
>or other incorrect program results and there might not even be any
>obvious program failure to make it evident you had a data integrity issue.

"Integrity" has a conventional meaning mindful of IBM's Integrity
Statement.  It's unduly alarmist here.  A large class of programming
errors or oversights can lead to data loss.  This situation is
very similar to use of an area uninitialized after GETMAIN.  And
users experienced "Unexpected program behavior" when z/OS optimized
memory management with the effect of leaving residual data in areas
that programmers had previously, unwittingly, counted on to be
cleared.  IBM provided a compatibility option to restore the earlier
behavior.  Did IBM call this a "Data Integrity" facility and
recommend that customers operate in old mode?  (BTW, I'm curious:
what fraction of sites continue to operate in old mode?)

That said, I welcome the change to allocation; I even feel it
didn't go far enough.  Simply, allocation should write an end
of file at the beginning of every new data set, SMS or non-SMS,
and regardless of DSORG, known or unknown.  The overhead would
be minor compared to the uncertainty removed.

Decades ago I encountered this "Unexpected program behavior".  My
hasty reaction was to create my temporary data set with a primary
allocation of 0 and a generous secondary.  And I encountered further
unexpected behavior when I learned of VIO and changed my JCL to use
VIO for my temporary data set.  I exhausted page space.  Is EOF now
written for new VIO data sets?

-- gil