From: Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>
Subject: Re: Null versus empty datasets
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 1:04 PM

On 10/17/2010 11:00 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> That said, I welcome the change to allocation; I even feel it
> didn't go far enough.  Simply, allocation should write an end
> of file at the beginning of every new data set, SMS or non-SMS,
> and regardless of DSORG, known or unknown.  The overhead would
> be minor compared to the uncertainty removed.

Back in the seventies we had a lot more failures, and I wrote a little utility
that would initialize a data set by writing an EOF on every allocated track
(pre-VIO). This not only prevented the old data reuse problem, but also allowed
normal access methods to recover data up to the point of a crash. And one of
our customers used it to clear data sets before freeing them.

Considering all the problems we had back then, waiting for a vendor to fix
things was not always a viable option.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT