On 10/17/2010 11:00 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
That said, I welcome the change to allocation; I even feel it
didn't go far enough.  Simply, allocation should write an end
of file at the beginning of every new data set, SMS or non-SMS,
and regardless of DSORG, known or unknown.  The overhead would
be minor compared to the uncertainty removed.

Back in the seventies we had a lot more failures, and I wrote a little utility that would initialize a data set by writing an EOF on every allocated track (pre-VIO). This not only prevented the old data reuse problem, but also allowed normal access methods to recover data up to the point of a crash. And one of our customers used it to clear data sets before freeing them.

Considering all the problems we had back then, waiting for a vendor to fix things was not always a viable option.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT