>Maybe I was too hasty. If a message is suppressed from every console AND
>from the log, it could be considered "lost".

Exactly. That was my first thought. In my experience, I am *required* to
proof to all and sundry (most notably IBM software support) that things
happened in a certain order or that they happened *at all*. How am I
supposed to do that if a message is suppressed from hardcopy?

I am heavily using MPF to reduce message traffic to the console, *and* we
spit out a 'TRT002' message at every step end (which is rc11 and hence
doesn't go to the consoles). Which is an absolute nuisance for the systems
that use the newfangled OMVS stuff, because for pages and pages and pages
and pages all I see are TRT messages in the hardcopy log. BUT that has saved
our beacon a number of times when it came time to *prove* that things
happened the way they did.

>So both positions have merit.
No, I don't think so. Keep the old behaviour as default and let those that have
no clue about tell-tale trails use the new option.

Rather, educate most of the world how to *read* a hardcopy log. In my
experience, I am the only one around here who is able to tell if a message
went to hardcopy only or what its routing codes are to determine if it showed
up at the console. Reading a hardcopy log is almost as interesting as redaing a
system trace table. Almost, but not quite. I am always stumped when I am
required to tell the descriptor code, as that doesn't really show up (other
than
the asterisk).

And educate all the IBM development labs in the *meaning* of routing codes
(and descriptor codes, while you're at it!). Their defaults (think Merva or
NetView or a few others) are just stupid. A large collection of routing codes
that would go to the console for a message that is needed at the most in
hardcopy log. And since *those* defaults were set a long time ago, nobody
knows anymore *why*, much less how to change them. (There are a few that
have customizable routing code settings.)

Barbara Nitz