>>Maybe I was too hasty. If a message is suppressed from every console
>>AND from the log, it could be considered "lost".
>
>Exactly. That was my first thought. In my experience, I am *required*
>to proof to all and sundry (most notably IBM software support) that
>things happened in a certain order or that they happened *at all*.
>How am I supposed to do that if a message is suppressed from hardcopy?

I fully concur with Barbara.

Thers is nothing more frustrating than having to explain what happend
when you don't have means to find out what happened. SYSLOG/OPERLOG is
one of the great things MVS offers to help with debugging and problem
analyzing.

If you're going to change that behaviour, make it so that someone needs
to activate it with full awareness of what is going to change and leave
the default as it is.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse