On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 13:55 +0200, Yifat Oren wrote:
> John,
>
> I would have used SORT-COPY (but if it's DFSORT make sure the VSAM BUFND
> setting is optimal). It should be faster than IDCAMS (because of the better
> TAPE I/O).
>
> Are you sure you need to reorg at all?
>
> I'm sure you are familiar with the "cost of CA splits is mainly at split
> time", etc., and re-org potentially causing more CA splits if it reverses
> needed splits ..
>
> How did CA-FAVER solve this problem? In-place reorg?
>
> Best Regards,
> Yifat

We would FAVER EXPORT the DSN to tape, then FAVER IMPORT it back. The
actual job is more complicated than that. We use "wild cards" to dump
multiple VSAM files to tape for backup purposes. We then run T-REX to
list all of those with a large number of CA splits. We message that
report in the next step to create FAVER control cards to IMPORT selected
VSAM files. FAVER IMPORT, like IDCAMS IMPORT will delete and redefine
the entire VSAM SPHERE based on the cluster names given.

The cost to convert from FAVER in terms of labour will be immense. So I
hope CA comes through for us. My boss has been trying hard to drive our
costs down because that helps save jobs.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><