George

I'm pleased to see that you report having solved your problem and I'm sorry
for the delay in responding to your numerous posts of a fortnight ago. You
may have noticed some of the aggression with which I have had to deal in the
last few days - and it continues - but you deserve the responses I've been
getting ready.

In order to understand what I am about to cover, you will need to read over
my response to your post where you asked me to analyse the Attachmate
article which, in essence involves introducing TCP-level "keepalive" processing
in the TCP support in the Microsoft Windows workstations supporting the
Attachmate TN3270 client.

Since you report you have solved your problem by introducing TCP "keepalive"
processing in the TN3270 client, I have the following 4 points to make:

1. TCP "keepalive" - or its application-level equivalent - can only solve the
sort of "timeout" problem you reported initially by, as it were, keeping a
firewall happy so that it does not decide to terminate TCP connections. The
other role of "keepalive" is to detect the death, real or apparent, of a
partner
in a TCP connection so that the local end of the TCP connection can be laid
to rest! You haven't expressed a need for this capability of "keepalive".

2. Presumably you have decided on a value other than 2 hours for the
KeepAliveTime Windows registry parameter so it would be useful to know what
value, time interval, you have chosen.

3. Assuming the value is, say, 10 minutes (600000), as a means of satisfying
the firewall rules, you could have specified a value of 600 (10 minutes) for
the
TIMEMARK statement and, say, 300 (5 minutes) for the SCANINTERVAL
statement in the TN3270E server PROFILE data set. I imagine that would be
easier than deploying the Windows registry change and adjustment to the
Attachmate EDP file out to all your external clients.

4. There is an alternative or a complement to 3 which is to check what the
firewall rules are which apply to your TN3270 service IP addresses and server
port number, 23. You should, of course, ensure that the TIMEMARK frequency
is less than the "lack of activity" timer in the firewall rules.

-

So, if your problem had been to "clean up" lost TCP connections in the
workstations supporting your Attachmate clients, you have done the right
thing by deploying the customisation described in the Attachmate article.

However, since your problem was to avoid disconnections of the TN3270
traffic, it is very probable there were two much easier ways to solve the
problem - but it's your choice.

Chris Mason

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 07:48:58 -0500, George Rodriguez
<george.rodrig...@palmbeachschools.org> wrote:

>Chris / Patrick,
>
>The tech-note in Attachmate's database did solve the timeout problem.
Thanks