George

The curious schematic is a way of presenting the sets of parameters and
indicating their source. The first one shows whether the parameter is supplied
as a default, then the second shows whether you supplied a value for the
parameter in the TELNETGLOBALS block, then the third shows whether you
supplied a value for the parameter in the TELNETPARMS block and lastly there
is a consolidation to show which parameters have been set, the "current" set.

After that the actual values are shown still grouped for convenience into the
same sets in order to guide you into understanding their role. Note the
abbreviations and the full names of the sets:

- PERSIS   = PERSISTENCE, relating, for example, to keeping the SNA session
when the TCP connection is absent
- FUNCTION = FUNCTIONS, adjustments to the way the TN3270(E)
session/connection works
- DIA      = DIAGNOSTICS, problem solving aids
- SECURITY = SECURITY, how the TCP connection can use IP-based security
options
- TIMERS   = TIMERS, values for the timers wherever needed
- MISC     = MISCELLANEOUS, SMF options, values for limits wherever
needed, "linemode" and "transform" options

For the TELNETDEVICE values, I expect the "O,O" indicates that you have
specified the values rather than having accepted default values. However, as
I keep pointing out, you have not actually *changed* anything by specifying
your TELNETDEVICE statements so you do not really need to bother having
specified them. Moreover, I expect you are only ever using the "IBM-3278-2-
E" device code, so, even if you wanted to specify relevant rows just as a sort
of documentation, that would be the only row with which you would bother.

You posted your TELNETGLOBALS block before so I knew already that you had
specified at least one TELNETDEVICE statement (= T under FUNCTION) and
you had specified a value for the INACTIVE, SCANINTERVAL and TIMEMARK (=
I, S and T under TIMERS). All these appear in the "*TGLOBAL" row.

Since I expect you never use "linemode", I think you can see now that one
parameter you specify is not relevant for you. There is an "L" indicating that
you have specified a "linemode" parameter, CODEPAGE in fact, in the
LINEMODE set in the "*TGLOBAL" row.

It would appear that the only parameter you have specified in your
TELNETPARMS block is

CONNTYPE BASIC

If you work through this diagram, you'll eventually get familiar with it.

-

The information presented by the "detailed" DISPLAY command output for
the "connection" is also very interesting and useful.

If you are using "mapping" statements in order to tailor the parameters used
to a particular client or range of clients - as I believe you have done for the
assignment of APPL statements - you need to use "client identifiers.

The client identifiers which could be used for this connection are shown.

- There is no "userid" since you have not employed the additional protocols
which would allow a userid to be determined.

- There is no host name, since you have no HOSTNAME or HNGROUP
specifications. In other words, the name of the client is only requested from
name servers as an address to name lookup *if* the host name appears
somewhere as a client identification.[1]

- Of course, there is a client IP address, a destination IP address and the
name of an interface used by IP packets arriving for that TCP connection

The port number, Communications Server IP main address space name and
level of security are shown.

Then there is confirmation that "TN3270E" protocols are in use and the "device
type" code is "IBM-3278-2-E". If all your Attachmate configuration files are
the same, then the "device type" code will always be "IBM-3278-2-E".

The code "TERMINAL" means that the type of device is a "display" as opposed
to a printer - "terminal" is a curious term used by RFC 2355.

The code "GENERIC" means that a "name", confusingly called an "LU name" in
the RFC, has *not* been passed from the client to the server so that the
TN3270 server, necessarily using "TN3270E" protocols, can use the name in
order to select either an individual particular APPL statement or a named group
of particular APPL statements.

This being so, the APPL statement will be selected purely on the basis of the
assigned "client identifier", "NULL" be default.

I can't find any source which explains what the two lines starting "OPTIONS"
are all about. I expect it a way of describing the options selected during
TN3270E negotiation but it seems to be exclusively for the benefit of IBM
maintenance support, an attitude of which I disapprove most heartily.

But, "adversity is the father of invention!", at least "3270E FUNCTIONS: BSR---
-" probably indicates that "BIND-IMAGE", "SYSREQ" and "RESPONSES"
functions have been agreed.

The assigned APPL name, TELNE2A8, possibly generated programmatically by
both the TELNET server and VTAM, and the name of the application in session
with the TELNET server APPL statement, CICSPRDT, is shown.

I think I have spotted an interesting misunderstanding in the labelling "APPL
SPECIFIED" for "LOGMODES". This is an SNA impossibility! I think what should
appear here is "VTAM SPECIFIED". If "TN SPECIFIED" is "NONE", you rely on the
SSCP of the secondary LU to supply the mode name. In implementation terms,
the SSCP of the secondary LU is the VTAM which is running in the same
system as the TELNET server program using that VTAM's API and the mode
name is a mode table entry name. When VTAM is presented in the REQSESS
call with a blank mode name in the session initiation request - corresponding
to "NONE" specified on the TELNETDEVICE statement, it uses the selection
sequence which starts with the value of any DLOGMOD operand on the APPL
statement.

I can also only guess at what the "MAPPING" section means. There's a
suggestion that the NULL client identifier is used in order to select from
where
the APPL (LU) names are obtained and the Unformatted Systems Services
(USS) table.

Finally, there's a schematic similar to the earlier one but with an additional
row - which doesn't change anything! I expect this is possibly used in order
to "add in" parameters selected by a PARMSGROUP block. Since you are not
using such a block of statements, it is just a repeat of the set of parameters
specified as the "conclusion" of the first schematic.

Chris Mason

[1] You may imagine from this that I know this whole topic intimately! This is
not true. I happen to know about the conditions under which the TELNET
server will bother the name server system with an IP address to name lookup
because this is important for having the name added to the "Control Vector"
64 (CV64) in the SNA session setup so that the system running the application
is informed of the client name as well as the IP address (and port). From z/OS
V1R12, session managers in "relay" mode can also "pass" the CV64 information
once the necessary programming is added.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 07:58:57 -0500, George Rodriguez
<george.rodrig...@palmbeachschools.org> wrote:

> [...]
>   REFRESHMSG10
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3277          D4B32782,**N/A**
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-2-E      NSX32702,SNX32702  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-2        D4B32782,SNX32702
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-3-E      NSX32702,SNX32703  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-3        D4B32783,SNX32703
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-4-E      NSX32702,SNX32704  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-4        D4B32784,SNX32704
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-5-E      NSX32702,SNX32705  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3278-5        D4B32785,SNX32705
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-2-E      NSX32702,SNX32702
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-2        D4B32782,SNX32702
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-3-E      NSX32702,SNX32703  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-3        D4B32783,SNX32703
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-4-E      NSX32702,SNX32704  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-4        D4B32784,SNX32704
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-5-E      NSX32702,SNX32705  O,O
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3279-5        D4B32785,SNX32705
>   TELNETDEVICE    LINEMODE          INTERACT,**N/A**
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-DYNAMIC       D4C32XX3,D4C32XX3
>   TELNETDEVICE    IBM-3287-1        **N/A** ,D6328904
>   TELNETDEVICE    TRANSFORM         D4B32782,**N/A**
> DIAGNOSTICS
>   DEBUG             EXCEPTION
>   DEBUG ROUTING     CONSOLE
>   NOFULLDATATRACE
> SECURITY
>   PORT                   23
>   CONNTYPE          BASIC
>   KEYRING           **N/A**
>   CRLLDAPSERVER     **N/A**
>   ENCRYPTION        **N/A**
>   CLIENTAUTH        **N/A**
>   NOEXPRESSLOGON
>   NONACUSERID
>   NOSSLV2
> TIMERS
>   INACTIVE             1800
>   PROFILEINACTIVE      1800
>   KEEPINACTIVE            0 (OFF)
>   PRTINACTIVE             0 (OFF)
>   SCANINTERVAL          120
>   TIMEMARK             1800
>   SSLTIMEOUT        **N/A**
> MISCELLANEOUS
>   SMF
>     SMFINIT                 0 (OFF)
>     SMFTERM                 0 (OFF)
>     SMFINIT         NOTYPE119
>     SMFTERM         NOTYPE119
>   MAX LIMITS
>     MAXRECEIVE          65536
>     MAXVTAMSENDQ           50
>     MAXREQSESS             20
>     MAXRUCHAIN              0 (OFF)
>   LINEMODE
>     NOBINARYLINEMODE
>      SGA
>      CODEPAGE          ISO8859-1     IBM-1047
>    TRANSFORM
>      NODBCSTRANSFORM
>      NODBCSTRACE
> ----- PORT:    23  ACTIVE               PROF: CURR CONNS:
>    FORMAT            SHORT
>    TCPIPJOBNAME      NO AFFINITY
>    TNSACONFIG        DISABLED
> 90 OF 90 RECORDS DISPLAYED
>
>The command D TCPIP,TN3270E,T,CONN,LUNAME=TELNE2A8 with the T and
LUNAME