As far as I know the source code must match the dataset type being used.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sergio Lima [mailto:sergio...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Question about COBOL Program

Hello List,

We had installed in our installation ZOS1.12 system , and also Z/VSE 4.2.
Under Z/VSE, is not very easy, work, with sequential files, if you don't have a
specific product for manage the VTOC space, that is our case.
Under Z/OS, it is not true, because, is not necessary specify the START of a
LOCATION from a file in to disk.
So, We thing change all of our JCL, when the file is VSAM  under Z//VSE : //
DLBL MYFILE,'MYFILE.VSAM',,VSAM , to sequential files under Z/OS,
//MYFILE   DD DSN=MYFILE.SEQ,DISP=SHR, without change the source of a COBOL
program.

The test that We made here, show that this is not possible, so, We want know
the opinions of this list, if this is really true.

In a single COBOL, we wrote :

    SELECT ARQSEQ    ASSIGN TO SYS010-AS-ARQSEQ
                     FILE  STATUS IS FS-ARQSEQ.

Then running ok for VSAM, but not for a sequential file, had Return code = 37.

When running with this :

   SELECT ARQSEQ    ASSIGN TO SYS010-UT-ARQSEQ

Here, run ok for sequential file, but for VSAM had :

IGZ0200W A file attribute mismatch was detected. File ARQSEQ in program LESEQ
was defined as a physical sequential
         file and the file specified in the ASSIGN clause was a VSAM data set.

and the program end with Return code = 39.

Thanks very much

Sergio Lima Costa
Sao Paulo - Brazil