What is your end goal?  Is it to have the same source code work on both VSE and
z/OS?  Or are you just migrating to z/OS from VSE?

If the former, I would recommend coding the select as non-VSAM (no AS- prefix).
 Then use a QSAM file on z/OS and a VSAM-managed SAM (MSAM; aka SAM-ESDS) on
VSE.  We just moved from VSE to z/OS last year.  We used MSAM fairly
extensively.  No need for those awful EXTENT statements that are required by SD
files.

Of course, alternatively you could use VSAM ESDS instead of sequential on both
VSE and z/OS.  I know that z/OS shops prefer QSAM to ESDS in general (or so
I've been told), but ESDS certainly is an option.

Frank
--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

On 2/17/2011 at 12:44 PM, in message
<snt137-w60ae05a8bf42cb28124dd1ac...@phx.gbl>, Sergio Lima
<sergio...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> We had installed in our installation ZOS1.12 system , and also Z/VSE 4.2.
> Under Z/VSE, is not very easy, work, with sequential files, if you don't
> have a specific product for manage the VTOC space, that is our case.
> Under Z/OS, it is not true, because, is not necessary specify the START of a
> LOCATION from a file in to disk.
> So, We thing change all of our JCL, when the file is VSAM  under Z//VSE : //
> DLBL MYFILE,'MYFILE.VSAM',,VSAM , to sequential files under Z/OS,
> //MYFILE   DD DSN=MYFILE.SEQ,DISP=SHR, without change the source of a COBOL
> program.
>
> The test that We made here, show that this is not possible, so, We want know
> the opinions of this list, if this is really true.
>
> In a single COBOL, we wrote :
>
>     SELECT ARQSEQ    ASSIGN TO SYS010-AS-ARQSEQ
>                      FILE  STATUS IS FS-ARQSEQ.
>
> Then running ok for VSAM, but not for a sequential file, had Return code =
> 37.
>
> When running with this :
>
>    SELECT ARQSEQ    ASSIGN TO SYS010-UT-ARQSEQ
>
> Here, run ok for sequential file, but for VSAM had :
>
> IGZ0200W A file attribute mismatch was detected. File ARQSEQ in program
> LESEQ was defined as a physical sequential
>          file and the file specified in the ASSIGN clause was a VSAM data
> set.
>
> and the program end with Return code = 39.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Sergio Lima Costa
> Sao Paulo - Brazil

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.