If you are simply migrating and don't want to worry about changes then I
wouldn't bother making any changes on VSE.  But you will have to do what we
did, which is during your source migration change (most!) of your select
statements and remove the AS- prefix.  Here is what we did during our migration:

1) Determined which sequential files in batch programs were also used in CICS.
This is because the CICS files, when defined in the FCT, must be VSAM.

2) We placed these files in an "exception list".

3) When converting our COBOL programs from VSE to z/OS we removed all instances
of AS- from our COBOL select statements *UNLESS* they were in the above
exception list.  If they were in the list we left them as ESDS.

4) When migrating our data we again looked at the exception list.  For ESDS
files in the exception list we defined them on z/OS as ESDS.  For all others we
pre-defined them as QSAM.

The other alternative we for better or worse decided against was simply keeping
all ESDS files as ESDS, rather than converting most of them to QSAM.  It seems
to me this would have made our conversion much simpler, but in the end what we
did worked out well so I can't really complain.

One other thing you'll need to know is that, while ESDS and QSAM generally
behave similarly when used by COBOL, there are occasions when they do not
behave the same.  Here are the differences that I can recall
1) Easy one: QSAM does not support the second, VSAM only, file-status field.
This is easy to fix because the program will not compile if you attempt to use
the second file-status field when specifying a QSAM file.

2) For better or worse you apparently can refer to the file buffer of a VSAM
file prior to opening the file, and after closing it.  When the file is QSAM
you get some sort of error, though I can't recall exactly what.  S0C4 perhaps.
In any case this is really a programming logic mistake, so you will simply need
to fix the program to not do it.  Of course thorough testing is the only way
you are going to determine if this logic error exists in any of your programs.

3) Well, there was another one, but I don't recall all of the details.  I
believe it had something to do with changing the size of a record in the buffer
of a variable length file.  Whatever it is, hopefully you'll not run in to it.
:-)

Hope this helps,
Frank
--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

On 2/18/2011 at 5:36 AM, in message
<snt137-w23e937c464dbf875cea823ac...@phx.gbl>, Sergio Lima