From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Al Sherkow
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 11:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: zIIPs and zAAPs

Bob --

I think the main point is acquiring the zIIPs with the machine avoids that
potential future zAAP to zIIP conversion charge in the future.

As Norman wrote with "zAAP on zIIP" all the work on that runs on the zIIP
appears as zIIP work. The Java work is not "reported" in the SMF as zAAP any
more. I'm not sure about the various zAAP "eligible" time fields (maybe someone
else can clear this detail up).

I think the odds are that overtime there will be more zIIP work in z/OS as IBM
may create additional "eligible" workloads for the zIIP. Other vendors also may
move some work to zIIP. Little additional work will go to the zAAPs. (though
IBM has made some other work "eligible" for zAAP in addition to Java like XML
processing).

Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,
WLC, LPARs, IRD and LCS Software
Seminars on IBM SW Pricing, LPARs, and IRD
Voice: +1 414 332-3062
Web: www.sherkow.com