In
<9f0ac04eb56ec643bdb1b36ab0c34583586...@hdqsrvexcvs.ssfcuad.ssfcu.org>,
on 04/08/2011
   at 04:49 PM, "Ward, Mike S" <mw...@ssfcu.org> said:

>Hello all, we are z/os 1.11. I had a programmer complain the his job
>didn't jcl out on him and he expected it to.

You get JCL error messages when there is invalid JCL, not when there
is inappropriate but valid JCL.

>Since he did not have a DD for these two files, it looks like SMS
>had enough info about the file to create a work file.

No. It looks like the COBOL or LE run time code had enough
information. SMS had enough information to process the dynamic
allocation request, not enough to make the request.

>This is why he did not get a JCL error.

No; he wouldn't have gotten a JCL error regardless. He would have
gotten a run-time error message.

>Now I need an SMS guru.

No.

>Why did SMS do this?

It didn't - COBOL or LE did.

>Shouldn't it have just jcled out with a dd card missing statement?

No. Even had you used the COBOL or LE option to not do dynamic
allocations, the error message would have been for a run-time
error, not a JCL error.