Kirk

>>> <a rather ridiculous comment>
>> Is anybody else sick of the USS argument?
> Count me as sick of it.

You are, of course, fully entitled to pick and choose whatever you wish to
make yourself ill - as long as you try not unduly to inconvenience anyone else!

> Many acronyms have multiple usages.

True, one could safely say just about every one. I was once asked in an
interview why is it absurd to say there are no two trees in the world with the
same number of leaves. One could just as easily ask why is it absurd to say
there are no initialisms (a more precise description of the sort of acronym
intended here) in the - let's limit it to the English-speaking - world with an
unique significance.

> The context is usually enough to distinguish.

Indeed one relies on the context in order to determine the significance. If the
context is IBM, then

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/u.html#x2042481

applies.

> FWIW, ...

Not a great deal IMNSHO.

The reference above trumps any old compendium - featuring, for
example, "United States Ship" so beloved by one of our regular contributors -
you may happen to find on the "web".

I then took the trouble to check the self-styled "acronymfinder" and it
imagines it provides an IBM reference when it just references an equally
inaccurate source, the self-styled "TheFreeDictionary" "By Farlex" whoever or
whatever he, she or it is. Maybe I should direct them to that reference above
it order to show them the error of their ways.

So it's "worth" less than nothing, since it compounds the misattribution.

Chris Mason