Rob - and all of your opinion

> Cheers to all this fine Monday morning!

Indeed a very fine Monday morning indeed - that really can't be said at all
enough!

The contribution of a relatively modest nature - given that all the arguments
are crystal clear and have only one outcome - to which you have appended
your response is one where I was obliged to try some emollient to both
indicate that he was not alone in having mental typos and that there was a
sort-of justification for the mistake - as also applied to the VTAM manual
author who clearly only half understood what he or she was writing and also
suffered from the indignity of having written something that nobody had
seemingly ever bothered to read - until now!

<Expletive deleted>! I decided to make sure that it was wrong as far back as I
could go online to MVS VTAM V4R1 - and it's not wrong there! Now I oblige
myself to a sort-of binary search until I discover which manual author wasn't
paying enough attention!

Later ...

The plot thickens! I imagined this was an ancient blunder but it turns out to
be a very recent one, R11 in fact - and not a revision bar in sight - some sort
of sabotage slyly introduced by some individual perhaps fighting for the
opposition but wary of actually using the forbidden interpretation -  just an
operation to discredit - what used to be called a 5th column!

Anyhow thanks for prompting the investigation because I have now found the
same aberration in the Network Implementation Guide - with reference to
nonswitched SDLC definitions in NCP, a topic with which we should all be
thoroughly familiar - and Diagnosis Vol. 2 in a table of component ids,
acronyms (no less) and descriptions.

Don't worry, the aberrations were found in no time flat with the aid of
the "Search text" field for the bookshelf.

Chris Mason

On Mon, 2 May 2011 08:35:28 -0400, Rob Schramm
<rob.schr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chris,
>
>I find it comforting that some things are to be relied upon.  Most of us do
>not have the time to continue the fairly impressive amount of writing that
>you are able to produce on a subject that is well documented.  I am sure
>that the outcome will also be the same as usual.  I wait for the inevitable
>end.  It cannot come anytime too soon.  USS (unformatted system services)
> will continue to be defended vocally by you and some others.  The rest that
>have been using USS for Unix System Services will continue to use it as such
>but will appear to give way to the onslaught of emails and apparently
>corrective prose.  I do not believe that this tirade is of any value other
>than to watch the predictable marionette perform once again.
>
>Cheers to all this fine Monday morning!
>
>Rob Schramm
>
>On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Chris Mason <chrisma...@belgacom.net>
wrote:

>> Mike
>>
>> > USS - Unformatted Screen Services.
>>
>> That's a new one!
>>
>> As it happens, I have just in the last few days in conjunction with sorting
>> out
>> another matter noticed that there is even a VTAM manual which gets USS
>> wrong!!!
>>
>> In the z/OS Communications Server SNA Messages manual, we find the
>> following:
>>
>> <quote>
>>
>> 17.0 Chapter 17. USS messages
>>
>> This chapter provides information on unformatted session services(USS)
>> messages that are sent to the VTAM operator or a program operator, and
USS