On Mon, 2 May 2011 09:25:51 -0400, Chicklon, Thomas wrote:

>OK, you win. USS is officially only to be used when speaking of VTAM's
>table thing.
>
>So, if you (and some others I'm sure) want to preserve the purity of the
>acronym USS, good for you. Don't misuse it. Just leave the rest of us
>out of it.

It's interesting that the link Kirk Wolf posted:

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/USS.html

rates the incorrect USS (Unix System Services) number six, and
USS (Unix Systems Services) number fourteen respectively.  The
usage correct according to the IBM Glossary doesn't even make the
list.  And when I filter by Information Technology, USS (Unix
System Services) becomes number one, and USS (Unix Systems Services)
becomes number two.  Now, I suspect that AcronymFinder hasn't an
army of gnomes researching and consulting authorities to verify that
USS (Unix System Services) or USS (Unix Systems Services) is
technically correct.  More likely, they have a nest of spiders that
crawl the Web, and whenever they find constructs such as USS (Unix
System Services) or USS (Unix Systems Services) they add weight
to the ranking of that interpretation.

When I want to understand an acronym, I rarely RTFM; more often
I simply type the acronym in a Google search box, and take
whatever appears in the first page of hits as conventional,
although possibly technically incorrect.  So Chris Mason's
polemics are likely counterproductive of his end: the more
stridently he denies that USS stands for Unix System Services, or
that USS stands for Unix Systems Services, provoking followups
that sometimes quote him, the higher he boosts the construct he
detests in AcronymFinder's ratings.

He'd more effectively further his cause of eliminating use of
USS (Unix System Services) and USS (Unix Systems Services) if
he'd simply STFU.  (AcronymFinder gets that one almost right.)

-- gil