Mike

> USS - Unformatted Screen Services.

That's a new one!

As it happens, I have just in the last few days in conjunction with sorting out
another matter noticed that there is even a VTAM manual which gets USS
wrong!!!

In the z/OS Communications Server SNA Messages manual, we find the
following:

<quote>

17.0 Chapter 17. USS messages

This chapter provides information on unformatted session services(USS)
messages that are sent to the VTAM operator or a program operator, and USS
messages that are sent to terminal users. For information on translating USS
messages, see "User-selected message changes" in topic 1.7.

</quote>

Amazing!

Returning to your imaginative interpretation, it is indeed true today that it
is
more than likely that Unformatted System Services commands are keyed at a
display device and both the commands and any associated messages appear
on a "screen". However, those of us with beards that have turned grey can
still dimly recall the 3767 typewriter which also required the use of USS
functions.

Chris Mason