________________________________
From: Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Fri, May 13, 2011 3:32:34 PM
Subject: Re: Copying tapes with 256K blocksizes

---------------------------------<unsnip>----------------------------------------

IIRC, IEHMOVE was a programming exercise for a IBM Assembler Language
Programming class. While it is, in many ways, unmitigated junk, it does have
the
ability to copy more than one dataset in a single job step, without a boatload
of DD staements. From what I remember, it uses OPEN TYPE-J to modify the DD
statements supplied, with the possible exception of volume parameters, in a way
similar to DYNALLOC processing today. The OP could probably also use REXX of
CLIST exclusively to accomplish his end result, I just thought I'd "gag a few
maggots" by suggesting IEHMOVE. :-)

Rick

One of the key elements that one doesn't want to use it is that it is
slooooooooooooow. Example (not current) we used to have a full pack PDS for
source and at the time we had to us IEHMOVE to copy it to tape scratch it and
reallocate it and restore it. AND YES I knew that IEBCOPY was faster but the
storage it needed was more than we had. But even with a large storage it
suffered unless you coded dcb=blksize= on the DD satement.

Ed