If I correctly understand the functioning of Batchpipes in that document, ISTM
that it has the disadvantage that if one end of the pipe fails for any reason,
then *both* ends would have to be rerun.  That can be more disruptive and
batch-window-time-consuming than just needing to rerun one of them, perhaps
even more so for really large volume batch applications which one would think
would gain the most benefit from this technology.

Sometimes it not what a tool does when everything works correctly that makes or
breaks the decision to use it or not, it is what happens when things fail that
is the most crucial.

After all, even in the days of 70xx hardware checkpointing was used, e.g. for
really large all-day tape sorts.  No one wanted to rerun the whole-day process
all over from the beginning when a work tape inevitably snapped 20 hours into
the process.

OTOH I personally would love to have it available to experiment with, but
that's just because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool techno-geek.

Just my USD$0.02 worth.

Peter

P.S. - I found the OS/380 bookshelf on which BatchPipes OS/390 manuals are
located, and 3 of the 4 manuals are available as PDF's:

http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/ASF1BS11

I don't know if those are the latest ones, but they were the latest I could
find.

HTH

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.