May I surmise from the initials MCL that this is a micro- or milli-code fix for
a z196 machine?  Is it possible that such a fix has implications on lower
architecture boxes like z10's?  I have no access to IBMLINK or RETAIN or I
would look these things up myself.

The reason I ask such a question is that in several application-oriented CPU
reduction efforts in recent years involving COBOL code, I found that some quite
large reductions in average CPU time were gained from the elimination or at
least from the minimization of MVCL and CLCL instructions in the generated code.

If the z196 has a "speedup" fix for these instructions and if that fix could be
back-ported to z10's or even to lower-order boxes, a possibly large amount of
COBOL application CPU time could be saved over the z universe...

Peter

attachments from your system.