From:   "Farley, Peter x23353" <peter.far...@broadridge.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   07/15/2011 07:51 AM
Subject:        Re: Z196 Cobol pgm with higher CPU
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

May I surmise from the initials MCL that this is a micro- or milli-code
fix for a z196 machine?  Is it possible that such a fix has implications
on lower architecture boxes like z10's?  I have no access to IBMLINK or
RETAIN or I would look these things up myself.

The reason I ask such a question is that in several application-oriented
CPU reduction efforts in recent years involving COBOL code, I found that
some quite large reductions in average CPU time were gained from the
elimination or at least from the minimization of MVCL and CLCL
instructions in the generated code.

If the z196 has a "speedup" fix for these instructions and if that fix
could be back-ported to z10's or even to lower-order boxes, a possibly
large amount of COBOL application CPU time could be saved over the z
universe...

Peter