No. Why? Because there are a number of control blocks in z/OS related to
TSO which reserve only 7 bytes for the value. What would normally be the
8th byte is a 1 byte length field. I don't know why TSO stored the
length of the id.

Now, this is only true if the person wants to LOGON to TSO
interactively. A person with a 8 character RACF id can submit a job
which, maybe via ftp, runs IKJEFT01 in batch to do some non-interactive
TSO commands. Also, a UNIX shell user (telnet or ssh or rlogin) can have
an 8 character RACF id. They can then use the "tso" or, in z/OS 1.12+,
the "tsocmd" command to issue TSO commands. But not if they expect 3270
interaction, such as ISPF. Such users could use RD/z, if it is licensed.
Another possibility is to write UNIX REXX scripts which use ADDRESS TSO
to do non-3270 TSO commands.

I would bet that if they wanted to, IBM could make non-3270 fullscreen
(curses or X) versions of SDSF or ISPF. ISPF is unlikely to get this
because it would decrease the demand for RD/z. SDSF could possibly be
done by one of us via the SDSF API in REXX or Java. Now, there's an
idea. If they did a non-3270 version of ISPF, that would likely mean
that all ISPF applications would be available "natively" to UNIX shell
users. But would anybody be willing to pay extra for it?

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 15:00 -0700, Donnelly, John P wrote:
> Does an exit exist or does a CBT modification exist  or does some purchasable
> software exist?
> Might a z/VM front end allow?

John McKown
Maranatha! <><