From: Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:29:46 AM
Subject: Re: IEC331I 050-030(VVDSFULL, PROD06)

> Thanks for the advice, most probably I will have to do something.  I was
looking at
> doing a logical backup of the volume, using DFDSS and inserting the DELETE
> option.  Next, I plan to re-initialize the volume with a larger VVDS and
restore the dsns
> using a logical restore.  My only concern is if this volume contains
multi-volume dsns
> would I have a problem when trying to restore these dsns?  What I mean by
multi-
> volume dsn is that one segment of the dsn resides on PROD05 and another
segment
> resides on PROD06.  How will this play out?  I was also told that another
option is to
> ZAP the VVDS.  I don't have a utility to do that but I would like to
entertain that option
> as well.  Does anybody know about it? Is it safe to use?

First I would not zap a VVDS without an open PMR with IBM.  That way they
can guide me on what the current tools are they have available.

Next, I would not rush this process.  I would add a new volume to the SMS
Pool and slowly drain the PROD06.  If it is SMS managed pool, then the
volsers are not important.  That the pool has dasd it.

Is there a need in your shop to always have a sequential volume number in
your SMS Pools?  That you could not have a PROD01 PROD03 PROD0A, etc?

Multi-segments are trickier to move.  The application must be down to ensure
no data is being written to it at the time.  I would backup and recover the
entire dataset rather than just one part.  It is safer.

I would also look to print off the VVDS and compare it to the catalogs and
datasets I currently have on the volume.  You may find old names that no
longer exist.  Then you could have IBM help you remove those.

On the www.ibm.com website there are tools documented to zapvvds and other
functions.  I would look at those and see if their functions would help.
But remember, these are unsupported tools.  Use at your own risk.

For example,
VVDSFIX - An unsupported VSAM utility used to correct problems with catalogs
and VVDS.

Lizette