On 11/15/2011 8:41 PM, Shane wrote:
Maybe users in bygone times were made of sterner stuff and prepared to
take responsibility for their own actions.

Not necessarily - we operated in a completely different environment. There were so few manuals that it was possible to read all of them, as well as their updates, and if you didn't understand something, it was easier to run tests until you determined what was happening. Stand-alone machine time was easier to get, and source code was available on microfiche and tape.

Maybe IBM never put any thought into it at all.

My guess that it was a typical IBM process - technical staff raises an issue, and a bean counter shoots it down for lack of a business case. After all, everyone backs up their files, right?

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT