From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Bill Fairchild
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: STOW macro Location

STOW does not ever operate by hosing the directory.  It assumes the
directory exists and is valid.  It finds the proper place in the directory
for the member being STOWED and manipulates the directory as per the STOW
parameters (add, delete, etc.).   If the directory has already been hosed
before STOW is invoked, STOW will fail.  This is probably what Shmuel meant
when he dogmatically stated that the services, i.e., STOW, cannot be used or
misused to clobber a directory.

Neither is a directory clobbered because of any failure in IEBGENER.  The
clobbering occurs because the user is invoking some kind of access method to
OPEN a file for output, the file is a PDS, and the user has not specified a
member name.  I think the real culprit is the lack of user-friendliness in
whatever OPEN executor module is blindly following the user's request to
overwrite an entire file without checking for certain file types for which
overwriting the whole file might not be appropriate.  This module, whichever
one it is, could easily check if the user is attempting to use any access
method other than BPAM to write into a PDS and has not specified a member
name, and, if so, then this module should return an error condition.
Perhaps IBM reasoned that if a user really, really, seriously wants to do
something this strange, they should let him.

Bill Fairchild