-----------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------

Ok, I must be confusing (having too much decaying braincells :D ) STOW with
something else which can destroy a PDS / PDSE directory if used incorrectly.

Please educate and correct me what that thing was which was discussed on
IBM-MAIN. I remember that if you don't use the services correctly you can
damage the directory which could render a PDS unusable.

Thanks Binyamin and Shmuel for your help.
Just my two cents' worth: trying to IEBGENER a member into a PDS and forgetting to specify the member name on the SYSUT2 DD statement will certainly clobber a PDS very effectively by over-writing the directory.

Rick