Donald Russell on IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
wrote on 11/21/2011 02:43:10 PM:
> > The use of the SORT to do this job seems to me to be much akin to
> > using a piledriver to set a ten-penny nail., and I should be
> > interested to know why you sought a canned solution to a problem of
> > this sort.
> >

> Though clearly the programming effort to write my own code to do this is
> trivial, the reason for wanting a "canned solution" is to avoid all the
> "business rules and procedures" associated with writing "custom code".
>
> If I roll my own, it has to go through the whole QA process, and
> distributed to various geographically diverse MVS systems where I need
this
> capability.  DFSORT is available right now. It's been debugged, it's been
> accepted, it's in production, now.
>
> If DFSORT can do what I need, that's perfect. The cycles to run DFSORT
for
> this are less expensive than my and other people's time to properly
support
> it.
>
> If there's another "out-of-the-box" solution, I'm all ears. i.e. my
cms/tso
> pipelines solution suggested in my original post. (But I'm note sure we
> have PIPELINES on all our MVS systems.)
>
> I'm also a big believer in using existing wheels. Why do I want to write
> program that already does what another, already available one does?
>
> The reason I need this capability is so I can extract a subset of records
> from one or more tapes in various geographically diverse MVS sites, send
> that data to another MVS site that has USS and do some stuff with it
there.
> I could just copy the entire tape across the country/globe, but I do have
> some limits regarding wasted bandwidth/cycles. :-)
>
> It's a trade-off/balancing act.

I'm glad to hear that devoting most of my career at IBM to adding more and
more functions to DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL hasn't been a waste of
time. :-)

It's nice to know I can't be completely replaced by a couple of teenagers
writing PL/I code.

The "use a utility" vs "roll your own" argument seems to come up every now
and
then.  Besides the QA process considerations and efficiency considerations,
it
often comes down to a "how complex does something have to be before you
stop
rolling your own" decision.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yae...@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort