John,

I have to disagree with you as concerns the efficiency of SORT I/O (of the main
two SORT competitors at least) vs. statement level language I/O.  In my
experience, the proprietary EXCP (or even lower) level algorithms used by SORT
will almost always exceed the efficiency of even the best-written HLL
applications program.  SORT can do things at a level just not available (or not
easily available) to the general programming public.  I think it would not be
inaccurate to state that channel programming is just not in the skill set of
99.99% of programmers, and due at least to privilege requirements is not
usually available to a programmer even if they have the skill set.

The observed performance numbers speak for themselves.  My admittedly
unscientific observations have always seen a decrease in consumed resources *on
the same task* for SORT vs. any HLL I have ever used, and in very large volume
cases I generally see quite large decreases.

I also admit that for small data volumes the observed decrease in resource
usage may not be (easily) observable.

I can certainly agree with your comment on the ultimate usefulness of
bureaucratic controls alone as error-reduction mechanisms.

Peter

attachments from your system.