I am not at all hostile to DFSORT, which I now prefer slightly to SYNCHSORT.

I am, however, hostile to the notion that I/O in a statement-level
language is always inferior to that of DFSORT.  Here both of my young
programmers used a locate-mode READ-SET for the input records,
examined each in its buffer, and an effectively asynchronous move-mode
WRITE-TO a LOCATEd position in an output buffer for the selected
records.  Their JCL included appropriate BUFNO=, etc.
(Interestingly, something very similar could be but in fact is almost
never done in COBOL with a reusable C or PL/I driver.)

I am of course familiar with production-control schemes.  Production
must be orderly, but in my experience bureaucratic controls alone do
not reduce errors: They only diffuse responsibility.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA