The following scenerio may resemble the circumstances in this thread.

1) IBM writes code, tests it with IBM hardware, and issues the code as PTF
   UZ11111 (for example).
2) Vendor-A's DASD stops working when customers install PTF UZ11111.
3) IBM customers who have Vendor-A DASD call IBM to report the problem.
4) IBM updates the AI text in PTF UZ11111 to reflect information that
   customers report to it.

What is really needed is a ++HOLD ACTION or ++HOLD EC with text stating
that "Vendor-A microcode level xxx is required for compatability with PTF
UZ11111".  However, ++HOLD ACTION / ++HOLD EC text must be included in the
original PTF - they cannot be added later.  At the time the PTF was
created, it was not known that there was a dependency between the PTF and
Vendor-A's DASD microcode.

If IBM published a ++HOLD ERROR, then no more customers would install PTF
UZ11111.

The ++HOLD ERROR would be resolved by a subsequent PTF which includes the
correct (newly discovered) ++HOLD ACTION / ++HOLD EC text.

If "Vendor-A" was IBM, I believe the PTF would have been marked PE.
However, if "Vendor-A" was IBM, the problem would probably have been caught
during testing before the PTF was released.

Brian