Long ago I had a phone call from India (proves how long ago this was!) for
technical support, and it was a one line change I gave
over the phone, saying "put this change in and let me know if there's a problem
in the morning".  He replied "we won't know until
Saturday, that's when we run SAS jobs", and when I asked why, he said "Well, I
probably shouldn't tell you, but we haven't paid our
SAS License for several years; every Saturday we IPL with an ancient date and
run our week's SAS jobs."

MXG's prime motivation to not check CPUID when we created that software in 1984
was to avoid OUR need to keep track of CPU and to
avoid having to take the time to provide each customer with a new key, so MXG
Software
has always been a single site license for ALL processors and ALL operating
systems at the licensed address.

I can recall the shock of many contract-admin folks in those early years when
they were upgrading to a new CPU when my Vice
President would reply "we don't need your CPUID; it's a site license; you can
run MXG on anything there, including the coke
machine!"

Also, since MXG was always to be source code distributed, keys would not
provide any protection!  The combination of the volatility
of the input data to MXG that requires frequent updates, so we can verify your
license is active, a price so low that it can't be
undercut, so we can distribute the source, and users who know we are "Children
of the 60's, giving away the keys to the kingdom", so
our users are friends as much as customers, has kept us truckin' for the past
27 years.

And, on the rare occasion where a consolidation did create an unlicensed
situation, payment for those missed years has always been
forthcoming, and usually because the techie want to make sure WE were paid.

But our primary goal has ALWAYS been to provide the tool set to keep our users
employed and happy!

Barry Merrill

Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
Merrill Consultants
MXG Software
10717 Cromwell Drive
Dallas TX 75229
214 351 1966 tel
214 350 3695 fax
www.mxg.com

P.S.  When the first Gulf War started, one of (or the one?) Australian aircraft
carrier was hastily deployed, only to discover their
SAS License had expired, leading to a hasty series of radio messages to/from
SAS Oz to get the new key.