Peter Relson wrote on 12/27/2011 4:49 AM:
What PARMLIB member is it that allows>8 characters between periods?

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt2c190/8.6.5.1

As Paul Gilmartin posted, this is a reference to:
MODIFY CATALOG,DISABLE(DSNCHECK)

FWIW, I wouldn't bet that most z/OS componentry pays attention to this.

Back when I was working at the University of Southern California, which ran many different operating systems, I submitted a "REQUEST" (essentially a single-customer version of a SHARE requirement) with the following core: Allow, at installation option, relaxation of most restrictions on MVS dsnames catalloged in ICF catalogs. IBM should create an installation-replaceable dsname validity checking routine, supplied in source form. All MVS components which validity check dsnames should call this routine.

After a two-hour conference call with the managers of a number of MVS components, their managers, and their managers, IBM gave USC the official response "That's a reaonable request but we're not going to do it." When pressed for "why not?", eventually IBM told us that it's because there were upwards of a hundred different places that all did dsname checking. That was the whole point of the REQUEST- centralize it into one place. Apparently 25 years later we're still no closer to having it done right. I was willing to let IBM piece-meal it, if they would just create the routine and then accept and fix apars opened against each component which didn't call that routine.

IBM was not interested in any way. A few years later USC got rid of the MVS system. Every other system except VM/CMS allowed nearly unrestricted dsnames. This may not have been the cause of USC ditching the MVS system, but it was emblematic of perceived user-unfriendliness of the system. Most user-unfriendliness of MVS can be masked by ISPF and REXX wrappers. The dsname problem can't be. IBM really needs to implement the routine that I asked for; there's simply excuse for the same function to be independently coded in 100+ different places.

  It
might be entertaining to try if you can make sure not to pollute your
existing catalogs The support says only that it will allow you to create
data sets (it does not actually say that you can necessarily use them
wherever you'd want to use them). And it even warns you that you may not
be able to remove them from the catalog..

If there are catalog entries stuck in a catalog, one can use the CatalogRecoveryPlus or Advanced Catalog Management MERGECAT command to move the records to a junk catalog and then just delete the junk catalog.

I'll admit that I didn't even know that this option existed. I know of
many places that validate data set names that have no knowledge of the
state of this option.

See above. Please. Please. Please. Fixing all of those "many places" is absolutely the wrong way to go. Create the central callable routine, and change everything to call it.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

/Leonard