On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:41:00 -0500, John Gilmore wrote:

>The combinatorial problem---How many unique, licit DSNAME values are
>there?--is easy to solve; one can even get the right answer if one

Thanks for expounding my perhaps-overly-subtle rhetoric.

>remembers that x'7c', x'5b', x'7b'---They are '@', '#', '$' in the
>United States---are syntactic majuscules and that left-to-right
>index-level repetitions, as in
>
>SYS1.SYS1. . . .
>
>are interdicted.

Are you perhaps recalling a superannuated restriction.  As an
experiment, I readily created (though with NFS, not JCL nor TSO)
'&SYSUID..&SYSUID', then viewed it and deleted it with DSLIST.

Likewise, in days of yore, but no longer, one DSN was not allowed
to be a prefix of another, such as:

    GUBBINS.WOMBAT            versus
    GUBBINS.WOMBAT.FUBAR

>..., as are those that
>contain embedded instances of obscenities in locally known languages,
>contextually inappropriate religious terminology, and the like.
>(SYS1.AMGOT would be offensive to Turkish readers; and an

(Does FUBAR, as I used above, rise to that level.  Ex-military
personnel would be most likely to know the reference, and least
likely to care.  You can't please everybody.  If COTFSM were to
take exception to "MARINARA" would we be required to oblige
them?)

>Italian-speaking CIO even objected to the index level ADREM, probably
>because he thought he was being baited.)

??? Google doesn't help me with that one,

Collateral to the initial topic, some installations require password
complexity forbidden by z/OS with the objective of portability among
the Babel of EBCDIC (need I say it?) code pages.  And VM creates
problems with passwords containing '@', '#', '"', perhaps others.

-- gil