I believe that GCCMVS is an active project.

On 1/31/2012 4:44 PM, Tomasz Rola wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Sam Siegel wrote:

Sorry about that.  I misspoke, I do not know if anyone or any
organization is porting the gcc suite of tools to z/OS.
No need to be sorry about anything, I am ok :-).

I just did a quick search and found via goog that man named David Pitts
did some port, which is now old stuff and wasn't quite finished when it
was still fresh.

http://www.cozx.com/~dpitts/gcc.html

> From his own words on gcc mailing list, he's got a bit disenchanted and
stopped working on it.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2011-11/msg00072.html

My question about "courts" etc was because I think even if there is any
kind of court in the land of Linux, it is peopled by a bunch of ronins. So
there is no "central authority" that could decide "now we go into z/OS" or
something. On the other hand, I know of no real reason that would prevent
anybody with knowledge of z/OS internals from getting source code and
adding z/OS support to it. The final form would be either fork from
original gcc, like David Pitts apparently did, or a patch sent to mailing
list or to a maintainer, to be included in a base source.

It seems that cpu support is already in newest gcc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection#Architectures

I notice they do support VAXen, PDP-11 and 10, and many exotic
architectures - some in core source and some in forks.

So this may be a good starting point, if somebody here has enough
know-how.

BTW, from the formal standpoint, gcc is not connected to Linux, it's just
the compiler of choice. A proper organisation is GNU Project.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **

| Jim Phoenix                      | Voice:   (310) 338-0400 x316   |
| Senior Software Developer        | Fax:     (310) 338-0801        |
| Phoenix Software International   |                                |
| 831 Parkview Drive North         | jimphoe...@phoenixsoftware.com |
| El Segundo, CA 90245             | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |

Opinions expressed by this individual are not necessarily those of the Company.